If you are not used to making phone calls in French, it is normal to feel a little bit overwhelmed before starting a first conversation.
Do not panic, be organized instead.
You will not be running out of words and you will not make a fool of yourself if you are following a few advices that require a little bit of your common sense.
- Take a piece of paper and note the object of your call, for instance, ‘hotel room reservation, ‘réservation de chambre d’hôtel’, ‘ réponse à annonce immobilière’, ‘reply to a housing agency’, or ‘demande de congés annuels’, ‘requesting annual holidays’. By clarifying the object of your demand and by writing it down, your brain will take notice of it quite immediately.
- This step being completed, write a few sentences that are related to the subject mentioned before. Example: ‘ Bonjour, je vous téléphone à propos de votre annonce-je vous téléphone au sujet de mes congés annuels.’
- Anticipate the different answers that you may be facing, like, for instance:
– Oui, qu’aimeriez-vous savoir?
– J’aimerais connaître la surface du logement.
-Dans quel quartier se situe le logement? A Saint-Germain?
-Très bien, quel est le prix?
-Quand voulez-vous prendre congé?
– J’aimerais réserver la dernière semaine du mois d’août.
- Master your scenario: write all useful sentences down-make sure that they are grammatically correct.
- Practice with a French speaking conversation partner and/or in front of your mirror until you feel confident enough to pick up your phone.
Ready? Just give it a try. It will truly boost your confidence.
As you know, behind every skilled speaker, there used to be some shy beginner.
Practice makes perfect!
Wishing you much success in becoming a confident speaker!
Also, I’ll be more than happy to help you improve your French in case you need some lessons. Do not hesitate, just get in touch via email!