The French like talking about the weather: so do not hesitate to engage into a small talk ( culturally, the Germans are opposite on this matter…it is considered as ” superficial talk” in Germany and not relevant. So you will need a different approach as a learner of German).
But while staying in Paris, speaking of the weather is totally approriate: most people will respond to your small talk.
To complete the last article, here are a few French expressions related to meteorological conditions:
- Il pleut, il mouille, c’est la fête à la grenouille: it is raining, it is getting wet, it is the frog’s feast
- Il fait un froid de canard: literally ” a duck’s cold”= it is freezing
- un temps de chien ” a dog’s weather”= bad weather, usually cold and rainy- note that the French also use ” un temps de cochon”, ” a pig’s weather” to express the same! “Quel temps de chien ( de cochon) aujourd’hui!
- pleuvoir des cordes= it is raining cats and dogs- “Il pleut des cordes”
- un vent à décorner les boeufs ( wind dehorning oxen)= a violent wind
- avoir la tête dans les nuages ( to have the head in the clouds)= to be a dreamer
- faire la pluie et le beau temps = to have all powers “Depuis son arrivée, le patron fait la pluie et le beau temps dans son entreprise.”
- le temps est au beau fixe= the weather is set fair “Il va faire beau pendant toute la semaine, le temps est au beau fixe.3
- jeter un froid= to put a damper, to have a chilling effect. ” Sa remarque a jeté un froid pendant le repas familial”
Hope this will help you perfect your conversation. Feel free to contact me for any question you may have.
Your French is still basic, but you’d be keen on engaging conversation with French people? There is an easy way to get involved into a superficial conversation. In France we are calling it ” parler de la pluie et du beau temps” ( literally speaking of the rain and good weather), so taking part in some small talk.
The weather forecast is called “la météo”.
Here are a few basic expressions that are very easy to use
Using “Il fait”
It is cold= Il fait froid
It is hot= il fait chaud
Il fait mauvais= the weather is bad
Il pleut= it is raining
Il neige= it is snowing
Il fait beau= the weather is nice
Using ” Il y a”
Il y a du soleil= it is sunny
Il y a du vent= it is windy
Il y a du brouillard= it is foggy
Il y a de l’orage= a thunderstorm is breaking out
Think of using ” avoir” when speaking of sensations about the weather ( being hot, being cold)
J’ai froid= I am cold
Je gèle= I am freezing
J’ai chaud= I am hot
J’ai très chaud= I am very hot
DO NOT USE TO BE IN FRENCH WHILE SPEAKING OF BEING HOT! IT COULD BE MISINTERPRETED AS LEWD SPEECH AND PUT YOU INTO SERIOUS TROUBLE!
Always mind your grammar.
Do not hesitate to contact me. I am here to help you progress and succeed in your learning.
Some language learners sometimes complain that they have spent months, or even years, without reaching any progress.
Whether you are a beginner in French or in German, there are some common mistakes you should avoid if you really want to make some consistent progress in your language.
First of all, DO NOT MAKE ANY VOCABULARY LIST!
- It is totally pointless to align one word after the other with their respective meanings. If you are using tons of vocabulary lists, you will surely fail at your task. Let me explain WHY.
The following rule is true for ANY language. You don’t learn a language by acquiring numerous words of vocabulary. You start learning a language by INTEGRATING YOUR WORDS WITHIN SPECIFIC STRUCTURES.
As a beginner, you must make an effort to learn ¨PLAIN SENTENCES”.
- Ok maybe grammar is not your cup of tea…this is why you will need a tutor to guide you. The method I am using is based on very practical, every day life conversations. We will interact and I will explain grammar and expressions in a way that is easily understandable. By being an actor of short dialogues, you will feel confident straight away. We will practice together and simple sentences will come to you easily.
French and German lessons are ALL à la carte. You decide what really fits your needs!
Also, you will be given the right tips by a professional and native speaker to improve your skills DAILY.
- very fast, you will also become familiar with a few idiomatic expressions.
By acquiring idioms, you will not only be aware of the literal meaning of the expressions, but you will also understand the metaphor. It will make the memorization of simple words easier.
In addition, you will sound more authentic!
“Nicht alle Tassen in Schrank haben”, literally ” to not have all the marbles in your cupboard”, to be out of your mind, to be mad.
You could hear from a German person’s mouth: “Ich glaube, du hast wohl nicht alle Tassen im Schrank!”
“Quand les poules auront des dents” literally means “when chicken will have teeth”, so to say NEVER, since chicken don’t possess teeth!
“Quand est-ce que Charles fera ses devoirs sérieusement?”
“Quand les poules auront des dents!”
Are you committed to make some considtentprogress in French or German? Contact me and we will arrange some lessons. BOOK NOW!
You’ve been working on your favorite language-French or German- for years. You now master structures and are much at ease. You are receiving great compliments for your fluency.
You have been asking yourself if it would be possible to reach a higher level of mastery of your language that would allow you to be mistaken for a native speaker?
People have probably told you that this is impossible.
Well, a lot of things seem impossible until they are done.
So, are you willing to take your “Turing test” in French or German?
Here are a few advices to succeed in your goal:
- Fake it until you make it: practice every day ( pronounciation, intonation, be willing to work on your phonetics, as practice really makes perfect!)
- be knowledgeable in idiomatic expressions ( they will make you sound like a native)
- dig deep into culture and history, learn about culinary and other traditions
- choose a native speaker for your lessons, express your specific needs
- be open about different conversational topics
- read the press and watch movies
- immerse yourself into contemporary culture
What else? Practice, practice, practice…be a parrot, copy speech and body language…
If you manage to turn impossible into I’m possible, you’ll certainly pass your Turing test!
Until then: fake it…until you make it!
Good luck on your future endeavors!
I am here to help you succeed. Book NOW.
Your dream to visit Paris has come true and you are happy to be in the City of Lights?
But a shadow remains hanging over you: your communication skills don’t allow you to communicate properly. The more you seem to be trying, the less you are understood.
And you would like to avoid speaking English! After all, you also came to the French Capital to improve your French skills…
Do not panic! I am here to help. I am currently offering one to one or two to one tuition services that will perfectly suit your very precise needs.
No matter if you are here for a short stay or if you are settled in Paris, French lessons in Paris are structured into several types of lesson set:
-2 hours if you’re only there for a few days or if you are not sure about how many lessons you’d like to book in the future. The 2 hours lessons set is perfect if you want to discover the method I am proposing. It will put you quite immediately into concrete communication situations and help you achieve your goal.
-a set of 10 prorated lessons if you need to work more regularly and improve some specific points ( such as accent, pronounciation, grammar, idioms, false cognates, etc…)
-a set of 15 prorated lessons if you need to focus more and to progress more actively. This is a perfect formula for students or persons working in Paris.
Why French lessons in Paris are ALWAYS a good idea:
- all lessons are tailored to your needs: if you need to work on pastry or catering, I will adapt our lessons accordingly. If it is paperwork or business French that you need, we will work it out together!
- one to one tuition is perfect to work out your very specific difficulties, no matter where the difficulty lies ( pronounciation, grammar, communication…)
- I will come to your place or hotel, unless you wish to arrange our lessons at a local Café.
- The lessons are not boring and formal. You will have fun! You are going to love it and before you realize it, you’ll start thinking and speaking like a French person.
- The plus: I am also offering German lessons with similar formulas, as I am also a native speaker and teacher of German
- I am used to teaching English speaking people and I am pretty much aware of the difficulties they may face in both languages.
Do not hesitate! Book NOW!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
or via my Facebook Business page.
I will get back at you asap in order to schedule our booking.