Some language learners sometimes complain that they have spent months, or even years, without reaching any progress.
Whether you are a beginner in French or in German, there are some common mistakes you should avoid if you really want to make some consistent progress in your language.
First of all, DO NOT MAKE ANY VOCABULARY LIST!
- It is totally pointless to align one word after the other with their respective meanings. If you are using tons of vocabulary lists, you will surely fail at your task. Let me explain WHY.
The following rule is true for ANY language. You don’t learn a language by acquiring numerous words of vocabulary. You start learning a language by INTEGRATING YOUR WORDS WITHIN SPECIFIC STRUCTURES.
As a beginner, you must make an effort to learn ¨PLAIN SENTENCES”.
- Ok maybe grammar is not your cup of tea…this is why you will need a tutor to guide you. The method I am using is based on very practical, every day life conversations. We will interact and I will explain grammar and expressions in a way that is easily understandable. By being an actor of short dialogues, you will feel confident straight away. We will practice together and simple sentences will come to you easily.
French and German lessons are ALL à la carte. You decide what really fits your needs!
Also, you will be given the right tips by a professional and native speaker to improve your skills DAILY.
- very fast, you will also become familiar with a few idiomatic expressions.
By acquiring idioms, you will not only be aware of the literal meaning of the expressions, but you will also understand the metaphor. It will make the memorization of simple words easier.
In addition, you will sound more authentic!
“Nicht alle Tassen in Schrank haben”, literally ” to not have all the marbles in your cupboard”, to be out of your mind, to be mad.
You could hear from a German person’s mouth: “Ich glaube, du hast wohl nicht alle Tassen im Schrank!”
“Quand les poules auront des dents” literally means “when chicken will have teeth”, so to say NEVER, since chicken don’t possess teeth!
“Quand est-ce que Charles fera ses devoirs sérieusement?”
“Quand les poules auront des dents!”
Are you committed to make some considtentprogress in French or German? Contact me and we will arrange some lessons. BOOK NOW!
Some websites claim that finding a competent tutor is much more important than having a native speaker at your disposition and that, very often, non-native speakers are capable of explaining better, because they understand that “students can make mistakes”…first of all, let me set the record straight about the latter sentence: native speakers do too!
The truth is that you will need -preferably- BOTH:
- a competent, well trained, experienced tutor who masters grammar, structures and who is able to understand the student’s particular difficulty due to phonetics or grammar or whatever else…
- a person who was immersed into the culture of the language you are currently studying.
Why is this detail of importance? It truly matters if you want to make some consistent progress in your language of study.
By making the choice of trusting a native speaker, you are making the RIGHT CHOICE.
- A native speaker will ALWAYS pronounce RIGHT
- A native speaker will have the right intonation and will help you repeat the sentences with the right accent and intonation. So, you want to sound French or German? Choose a native speaker!
- A native speaker will always insert idioms in his speech very naturally. Idioms are expressions you would barely understand, because they are typical of the country’s way of expressing. It can be a metaphor, it may have a historical background. The native speaker is usually able to tell.
- Especially when it comes to precise knowledge ( culinary habits, cultural habits, school system, politics etc), the native speaker is usually more competent to give you the accurate info you actually need.
“French lessons in Paris” can offer you BOTH:
- an experienced and competent teacher who is used to the specific difficulties of English speakers
- a native speaker of French and German who can help you integrate idioms and structures easily as you progress
In addition, lessons are informal and tailored to each client’s individual needs!
Do not hesitate! Book your lessons NOW!
Your dream to visit Paris has come true and you are happy to be in the City of Lights?
But a shadow remains hanging over you: your communication skills don’t allow you to communicate properly. The more you seem to be trying, the less you are understood.
And you would like to avoid speaking English! After all, you also came to the French Capital to improve your French skills…
Do not panic! I am here to help. I am currently offering one to one or two to one tuition services that will perfectly suit your very precise needs.
No matter if you are here for a short stay or if you are settled in Paris, French lessons in Paris are structured into several types of lesson set:
-2 hours if you’re only there for a few days or if you are not sure about how many lessons you’d like to book in the future. The 2 hours lessons set is perfect if you want to discover the method I am proposing. It will put you quite immediately into concrete communication situations and help you achieve your goal.
-a set of 10 prorated lessons if you need to work more regularly and improve some specific points ( such as accent, pronounciation, grammar, idioms, false cognates, etc…)
-a set of 15 prorated lessons if you need to focus more and to progress more actively. This is a perfect formula for students or persons working in Paris.
Why French lessons in Paris are ALWAYS a good idea:
- all lessons are tailored to your needs: if you need to work on pastry or catering, I will adapt our lessons accordingly. If it is paperwork or business French that you need, we will work it out together!
- one to one tuition is perfect to work out your very specific difficulties, no matter where the difficulty lies ( pronounciation, grammar, communication…)
- I will come to your place or hotel, unless you wish to arrange our lessons at a local Café.
- The lessons are not boring and formal. You will have fun! You are going to love it and before you realize it, you’ll start thinking and speaking like a French person.
- The plus: I am also offering German lessons with similar formulas, as I am also a native speaker and teacher of German
- I am used to teaching English speaking people and I am pretty much aware of the difficulties they may face in both languages.
Do not hesitate! Book NOW!
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
or via my Facebook Business page.
I will get back at you asap in order to schedule our booking.
You’ve been learning French for a while now, but, somehow, you are not really satisfied with your ability to speak the language. Here are some efficient tools to help you improve your fluency.
- “Practice makes perfect”: this proverb has been proven to be true. Even if your schedule is quite busy, be committed to setting 15 minutes of your time apart for French. With 15 minutes daily , you will reap more results than with one hour weekly. It is much better to have a short-timed, regular time dedicated to French during which you can concentrate fully: your brain will be more receptive if you do it this way.
- do you like music? Why not listen, then to a bunch of popular French songs? Listen carefully at first; then become more daring and sing along! You could even record yourself on tape to monitor your progress.
- Listen to simple sentences. Repeat them on a regular basis. Then start repeating them faster, like a normal French person would speak.
- Always listen to French movies in the original language. Use subtitles to help you and let your ear get used to the language.
- Speak French in front of your mirror. Rehearse as much as much as needed!
- Ask your way, order your coffee, buy your bread in French! Do not be afraid to make mistakes, there will always be a person of good will to help you out.
- Learn your structures and idioms. They will be very useful to build up a conversation that sounds good.
Finally, ask a native speaker of French! I am offering services in the heart of Paris in form of 1 to 1 or 2 to 1 tuition. Take advantage of the -10% for the set of 2 lessons ( offer lasts until March the 14th). I’ll be more than happy to help you out with your specific requests. The same offer is also available for German language, as I am also a native speaker and teacher of German.
Do not hesitate any longer. Book NOW.
Copyright© by Isabelle Esling